Please note: If I have contacted you directly, you would have got a tailored version of my CV.
This is a generic, long version.
Also known as: Dr Jerzy Dziewierz
Address, Telephone: Provided in separate correspondence
I am an energetic, bright-mooded, experienced ultrasonic engineering scientist.
My reputation is of a creative problem solver with a knowledge base extending beyond the core field, into software, electronics, mechanical engineering, materials science, project management, leadership, philosophy, and more.
I am known for learning quickly, coming up with deep insights and radical innovations. My knowledge of theory is matched by my experience in lab work.
I consider my skill to present and explain complex technical issues to people of any technical ability to be one of my strongest sides.
- Transferable technical skills
- Transferable social skills
- Work experience
- Other training
- Additional experience
- Personal interests
- Travel considerations
- Salary expectations
- Other notes
12 years of experience in the development of ultrasonic devices:
- Thorough understanding of mechanical wave (elastic wave) propagation physics, with a focus on Non-Destructive evaluation (NDE)
- 2D phased array devices: simulation; design; fabrication and assessment ;
- Piezoelectric composite material technology development
- In-probe signal conditioning
- Post-capture signal processing - imaging, analysis, detection, quantitative characterisation
- Bespoke CAD tools development
- See https://www.rey.wiki/george/portfolio/ for more details.
Development of real-time signal processing software
- Finite element analysis; ray-tracing; beamforming and imaging with phased arrays
- Research into new algorithms
- Development of applications for the new algorithms
- Appropriate 2D visualisation of the results
Development of CAD software
- White box, black box and grey box modelling
- Advanced optimisation (gradient descent, Monte Carlo, genetic),
- multicriteria optimisation,
- Pareto front analysis
- Bayesian and probabilistic programming
Development of data analysis software
- Data visualisation
In-depth understanding of mechanics, dynamics and elastic wave propagation.
In-depth understanding of computer architectures, including microcontrollers and their peripherals
Experience in writing research grant proposals
Experience working as a Principal Investigator
Experience in recruitment and selection
Transferable technical skills
- Expert knowledge in Python/Anaconda, MATLAB, NVidia CUDA, and STM32 series of microcontrollers
- numpy, pandas, scikit, PyTorch, OPC, SQL - apparently recruiters are told to ask for that!
- Expert in Solidworks for 3D mechanical design and 2D documentation preparation
- Expert knowledge in NVidia CUDA for GP-GPU acceleration of compute-intensive algorithms (e.g.. AI, machine learning, signal transform, custom kernels)
- Expert in Solidworks for 3D mechanical design and 2D documentation preparation
- Working knowledge in Wolfram Mathematica for symbolic expression manipulation and parametric design and documentation
- Working knowledge of neural networks, probabilistic programming and differentiable programming for machine learning; parallel computing technologies and algorithm design for parallel processing
- Working knowledge of analogue signal conditioning and FPGA programming
- Working knowledge in Python for data engineering and machine learning
- Working knowledge of SQL for database design, deployment, and utilisation
- Working knowledge of OPC for sensor networking; this includes a number of older protocols such as
- Working knowledge of supercomputing techniques for advanced simulations (PZFlex, and self-developed MPI, OpenMP and batch parallel software)
- Working knowledge of 3D printing, CNC machining, and design for manufacture.
- Experience in ARM Cortex line of processors and analogue signal path design for embedded signal processing (e.g. STM32F series - includes C, assembler, and peripheral programming)
- Experience in experimental design, data mining, machine learning, and data interpretation
- Fundamentals: Integrating input from various measurement and control devices to facilitate experimental control and data acquisition:
- oscilloscopes; signal generators; impedance analysers, etc.
- special instruments, e.g. hyperspectral camera
- position/motion encoders; servo motors, etc.
- and many other
Transferable social skills
- Ability to explain and communicate complex topics in science and engineering to a wide range of audiences - tailoring the message to the recipient
- Remote work culture and organisation - I am an officer at a Toastmasters club
- Experience in cooperation with external partners; includes Rolls-Royce, AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, GKN Aerospace, and more
- Practice in initiative, leadership, and project management
- Formal training in leadership and people management (ILM Level 3), and project management (PMI CAPM)
- Experience in procurement of high-value equipment for the lab.
- Dissemination of research through presentations, lectures, journal and conference papers, industrial technical reports, conferences and workshops
- 2017: Strathclyde Institute of Leadership and Management, Level 3 Diploma in Management (alternate link)
- 2013: Project Management Institute - Certified Associate in Project Management - training and certification.
- 2007-2015: University of Strathclyde, Glasgow. PhD Thesis title:
2D ultrasonic phased arrays for quantitative non-destructive evaluation(Full text). Wave propagation physics, ultrasonic probe design, signal processing.
- 2002-2007: MEng in Automatics and Metrology. University of Science and Technology, Krakow, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics. Master’s thesis title:
H-infinity algorithm for control of Inverted Pendulum. (Full text). Mechanical engineering, industrial automation - continuous and event-driven automatic control.
- 2007: Glasgow Caledonian University. Socrates-Erasmus student exchange. Work title: “MoRoTeCo: Mobile Robot Control Toolbox for MATLAB and Simulink”. Image processing, nonlinear system control.
- 1991-1997: Oskar Kolberg Public Music School in Radom. Grand Piano class, Flute class, Choir class
- April 2020: Volunteer coordinator for https://3dcrowd.org.uk/, in collaboration with a community effort to 3D print face shields for the pandemic response services
- 2018-2020: Senior Scientist, Ultraleap (formerly Ultrahaptics). Science leadership and mentoring, signal processing, CAD package development, algorithms implementation, device design, reverse engineering, and more. See my portfolio for more details.
- 2015-2017: Principal investigator, Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering, Leading a team of five, in an authored project
A new paradigm for ultrasonic non-destructive inspection method, to develop rapid inspection methods based on the micro-doppler effect. Proposal writing, grant application, recruitment and selection, project management, science leadership, stakeholder communications.
- 2013-2018: Research Associate, Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering, in a project shared with Centre for Continuous Manufacturing and Crystallisation (CMAC), University of Strathclyde. Collaborative research project to develop sensor interfaces for decision support in continuous chemical processes. Plant-scale data gathering system development, signal processing and machine learning. Mechanical engineering, electronic engineering, software engineering, teamwork, signal processing, machine learning, scientific communications
- 2010-2013: Research Assistant, Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering, University of Strathclyde. Research project (funded by Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council / Technology Strategy Board ) involving Rolls Royce and Advanced Forming Research Centre to develop 2D ultrasonic phased array probes, related electronic interfaces and signal processing software for application in the testing of aerospace composite components
- 2007-2010: Fully funded PhD; See the education section for more details.
- 2005-2006: Assistant to Dean of the Faculty. University of Science and Technology, Krakow. Main Activities include: work on the handbook “Podstawy Automatyki” (“Introduction to automatic control engineering”); link to vol.1, link to vol.2; developing educational project “Inverted Pendulum system with voice coil actuator”; contribution to a demo project “chess-playing robot” local link; maintenance of laboratory equipment
- 2005 Science Club Member - Science Club “Edison”. Organizing events, including visiting academic and industrial external laboratories, lectures on creativity and modern research techniques.
- 2004-2006 Engineering Club Member - Science Club “Sensor”. Developing power control and distribution PCB for a shape-memory-alloy walking robot. Representing the university during Krakow Days of Science. Representing the university during international scientific club session in Ostrava, Czech Republic.
- 2003: IT Consultant, Elpoinformatyka, Tadeusz Kosciuszko Power Plant, Polaniec. Consultant for an organisation-wide e-mail system upgrade.
- 2000 - 2003: Embedded software developer. Elektromix Radom. Developing master control software for a bottle-making machine. General technology research and consulting.
- 2020: Series of remote work culture seminars with Toastmasters
- 2011: Training in Advanced Zetec UltraVision SDK (ultrasonic data acquisition and signal processing equipment)
- 2010: Communicate-consultants: a set of interpersonal and managerial short courses. “Communication and influencing skills”, “Assertiveness and Conflict Management”, “Developing Teams”, “Delegating for Success”, “Facilitation Skills”, “Making Meetings work”, “Recruitment and selection”
- 2009: Royal Academy of Engineering - Leadership Award
- 2009: Evision Wild training in leadership and initiative
- 2006: Wojakowscy Memory School. Memory and Focus training
- 2003: Krakow Academy of fast reading. Fast Reading training
- 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017: Lecturing for the RCNDE EngD Ultrasonics Transduction Course, University of Strathclyde: “Piezoelectric composite technology”; “Ultrasonic Array Transducer Design Considerations”. Preparation of lectures and related materials
- Experience as a Teaching Assistant in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Lecturing, lab facilitation, undergraduate project supervision. Microcontroller technology and peripherals (timers etc.); analogue electronics (basic circuits including amplifiers)
- Supervising PhD students, interns, project workers
- Awarded with a 2-year Royal Academy of Engineering Research Student Development Fellowship (£10k) in 2009
- Awarded with the Stanislaw Staszic Gold medal for outstanding students
- Philosophy, practicalities, Science-Fiction
- Physics, including rocketry, astrophysics and quantum physics
- Artificial intelligence and its implications
- Home chemistry
- Ray tracing and elastic wave FTDT research and open-source software
- Radio control models (quadcopters, First-Person-View flight)
- Amateur radio (amateur radar, beamforming, signal processing). Amateur radio licence holder.
- 3D Printing (I have a 3D printer, I design my items to print )
- Servomotors and other things with dynamic real-time feedback control, eg. non-linear impedance analysers
- Choir artist (tenor)
- member and officer of the Bristol Central Speakers (Toastmasters) club
- Willing to travel
- Willing to relocate
- Full EU passport (Polish)
- Holds a business visa to USA and Canada
- Excellent remote (home) work set-up
- 52/12 MBit internet
- modern multi-screen workstation in a dedicated office room
- Gym, garden, and a serviced meeting room
Competitive. Willing to accept a low-paid probation period with a salary review afterwards.
Ultraleap, Bristol (https://www.ultraleap.com)
- Brian Kappus - Director of research - senior co-worker
- Benjamin Long - Ultraleap fellow - senior co-worker
- Rob Malkin - line manager
- Orestis Georgiou - line manager
- Tom Carter - CTO and founder at Ultraleap
- Prof. Gordon Hayward - Director of Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering - mentor.
- Prof. Anthony Gachagan - Director of Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering - mentor, line manager
- Dr John Mackersie - Senior Research Fellow - mentor, senior co-worker
- Prof. John Soraghan - Head of DSP Algorithms & Architectures Group - senior co-worker
- Dr Alexandru Corneliu Moldovan - mentee
Zetec ( www.zetec.com )
- Frederic Morrow - R&D Director - business partner
Timet ( www.timet.com )
- Stephen McCarthy - Business Unit Manager - business partner
Diagnostic Sonar ( www.diagnosticsonar.com )
The Welding Institute ( www.theweldinginstitute.com )
- Grzegorz Ptaszek - Senior Project Leader - business partner
Telephone numbers and email available on request.
Last update: 2020-08-03
Processing of ultrasonic signals was a significant theme in my professional life so far. I have invented novel and successful algorithms for ultrasonic imaging during my PhD (2013), then extended them during my follow-up work with Rolls-Royce (2015). More recently, I came up with original algorithms for a research project “DopplerAI” (2016) of my initiative, and a research project “DAITAS” (2017) funded from the aerospace industry (GKN Aerospace). I am proud of these and would be glad to give You a presentation about them.
Early during my PhD training, I have been awarded a Royal Academy of Engineering grant to study leadership and management (2009). Over time, I have obtained the
Institute for Leadership and Management Level 3 diploma (2017), as well as the
PMI CAPM certification (2013, 2020).